[Nrg-l] This week's NRG

Niky Riga inki at cs.bu.edu
Mon Oct 25 19:15:49 EDT 2004

Hi,
Due to IMC, the SIGMETRICS deadline and the midterms, the initial
thought was to cancel the NRG for this week. However after the gaming
experience of last Friday some of us wanted to know more about research
on Network games. So I propose this week in the NRG meeting to have a
discussion about the paper that won the Best Paper Award in this year's
NetGames Sigcomm workshop. The paper proposes a way to realize the
bullet time effect(yes the effect introduced in Matrix:-)) in network
games, using local perception filters. This will be more like an
informal discussion of the paper(no powerpoint) so it would be helpful
for everyone to skim through the paper before we meet. I claim no
expertise in the area so don't expect me to be able to answer all the
questions:-). The title and the abstract of the talk follow.

Niky

http://www.acm.org/sigs/sigcomm/sigcomm2004/workshop_papers/net504-smed1.pdf

Title
Realizing Bullet Time Effect in Multiplayer Games with Local Perception
Filters

Abstract
In computer games the bullet time effect allows the player to slow down
  the surrounding game world thus enabling the player to have more time
to make decisions. In single player games this is implemented by slowing
down the environment of the player. In multiplayer games the
implementation is challenging since if one player could slow down the
time of its surroundings it would be awkward for the other players
within the influence area because it will hinder the game play of other
human players.
The method proposed by the authors is based on the idea of local
perception filters. Local perception filters are a method used to hide
communication delays in networked virtual environments. To achieve that
the entities are placed in a slightly out-of-date location based on the
communication delays. The idea is to make these temporal distortions of
the game world as unoticeable as possible.

PS: Because I am not very familiar with graphics terminology, I didn't
know exactly what "render" meant. Since it is a term widely used in the
paper I will provide my understanding of the definition for other people
like me:-)
render: The process of producing a 2d image of a 3d world by taking
into  	account the placement of lights, the camera placement and the
position of 3d objects.

--
Use a smile as your shield. It will protect u better than cruelty in
return will.