[Nrg-l] NRG on Wednesday Novemeber 17th at 3pm

Niky Riga inki at cs.bu.edu
Sat Nov 13 02:13:05 EST 2004

Hi,
This week Nahur is presenting a paper that appeared in this year's IMC.
The paper is:
"Traffic Matrix Estimation on a Large IP Backbone - A Comparison on Real
  Data"
A link for the paper and the abstract follows.
The NRG will be on Wednesday 11/17/04 at 3pm at the grad lounge.

CU all there,
Niky

http://www-net.cs.umass.edu/imc-2004/papers/p149-gunnar.pdf

ABSTRACT
This paper considers the problem of estimating the point to point
traffic matrix in an operational IP backbone. Contrary to previous
studies, that have used a partial traffic matrix or demands estimated
from aggregated Netflow traces, we use a unique data set of complete
traffic matrices from a global IP network measured over five-minute
intervals. This allows us to do an accurate data analysis on the
time-scale of typical link-load measurements and enables us to make a
balanced evaluation of different traffic matrix estimation techniques.
We describe the data collection infrastructure, present spatial and
temporal demand distributions, investigate the stability of fan-out
factors, and analyze the mean-variance relationships between demands.
We perform a critical evaluation of existing and novel methods for traffic
matrix estimation, including recursive fanout estimation, worst-case
bounds, regularized estimation techniques, and methods that rely on
mean-variance relationships. We discuss the weaknesses and strengths of
the various methods, and highlight differences in the results for the
European and American subnetworks.

--
Use a smile as your shield. It will protect u better than cruelty in
return will.