[macs-faculty] Site visit talk prep

Mayank Varia varia at bu.edu
Mon Sep 12 23:15:46 EDT 2016

Hi everyone,

I started a Google doc (link
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ukSt9g61YYuoKjDIiXjiaaXGoJO7eLP9AjTduXu2sbw/edit?usp=sharing>)
for us to sign up for the topics to cover at the site visit. Please note
any work of yours that you think we should discuss, whether or not you're
the one who gives the talk; in fact, it's ideal if some of us give talks
that include work done by others.

I added a few thoughts off the top of my head, but I forgot my notes at my
office... which gives you a day to sign up before I do so for you :)

Here's my suggested timeline for the talk preparation:

   - By this Friday, finalize a set of talks + speakers.
   - On next Friday (9/23) from 9am to 1pm, hold a dry run for the talks
   involving new/collaborative material. (So: let's cover research,
   collaboration, knowledge transfer, but no need to re-do the strong outreach
   talks from last year)
   - Afterward, edit the talks based on feedback from the dry run. Also,
   tailor the talks to the members of the external panel (once we learn who
   they are).

Please block off the morning of 9/23 for the dry run. I'll book a room at
BU, and I will set up a teleconference for anybody who cannot attend in
person.