[macs-faculty] MACS site visit report

Frans Kaashoek kaashoek at mit.edu
Tue Nov 15 10:43:49 EST 2016

How about something along the following lines in response to the MPC and
Mylar comment?

We respectively disagree with this observation.  CryptDB and Mylar were
major motivations for the collaboration between theory and systems, and
helped in forming MACS through an earlier EAGER proposal.   Computation
over encrypted data is one of the main theme of research in MACS, because
it provides strong security and allow for good composibility (since large
parts of code can be excluded from the TCB).   Obtaining practical
experience with this approach with MPC and Mylar has helped the research.
For example, both MPC and Mylar have led us to observe several interesting
research problems that weren't clear when we started.