[macs-faculty] NSF funding of MACS

Mayank Varia varia at bu.edu
Wed Dec 21 16:44:11 EST 2016

Hi everyone,

Please see Nina's email below. As expected based on the positive site
visit, NSF will be continuing the MACS Frontier project at its existing
level.

We had already made a few requests for supplements to the grant; as you can
see from Nina's email, one was acceptable and one was rejected (darn). We
do have a few extra supplement requests that we wish to make: $200-300k to
instantiate Sanctum, $100k to augment the Primes outreach effort, and a
request for ~4 additional postdoc lines since we have already exhausted
most of our postdoc funding.

Please let me know asap if you object to any of these requests; in
particular, I would like to know your thoughts on the postdoc concept since
Ran and I just came up with it and we haven't had a chance to solicit
feedback. (We can figure out later an equitable way to divvy up the lines
between institutions; for now I think it's worthwhile just to make some
type of request.)

Thanks,
Mayank