[Kittyhawk] building ...

Eric Van Hensbergen ericvh at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 18:57:57 EDT 2011

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 5:44 PM, ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm running around look at the code and I'm still unclear on how to
> build. Hints?

What exactly do you want to build?  You don't really need to build the
infrastructure, you can boot custom kernels with the default kh
profile.  Building a kernel is fairly straightforward, grab:
  git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/ericvh/bluegene.git
  git checkout -b kittyhawk-2.6.22 origin/kittyhawk-2.6.22
Build it the way you'd normally build a linux kernel:
(on surveyor or some other 32-bit LinuxPPC system):
     ARCH=powerpc make bgp_defconfig
     ARCH=powerpc make
(using crosstools-ng on an x86 box)
     ARCH=powerpc CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu- make bgp_defconfig
     ARCH=powerpc CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu- make

Then copy the arch/powerpc/boot/uImage and use it with khdo to set a
non-default kernel when you do your khctl scripts....you can look at
my (on surveyor) ~ericvh/bin/evh_kh_test which takes three arguments:
  1) nodelist
  2) cpio disk
  3) kernel

e.g.:
evh_kh_test 1 /home/jappavoo/Work/kh/Argonne/appliances/worker/worker.cpio
uImage

Jonathan probably has something more elegant.

> Also has anyone built gcc on surveyor? I need to build the newest release.

Make sure you do that in pvfs space, I don't think there's enough
space in gpfs to tolerate a gcc build :)
Even if it does buy you GCCgo.

       -eric