[Dmbu-l] Understanding Distributed Dataflow Systems - Friday 3/31 11:00am

Charalampos Mavroforakis cmav at bu.edu
Mon Mar 27 15:01:31 EDT 2017

Hi all,

This Friday, 3/31 at 11am we will be hosting John Liagouris from ETH
Zurich. There will be a follow-up email regarding the room that we will
use.

The title and the abstract of the talk follow.

- Harry

*Title:* Understanding Distributed Dataflow Systems

*Abstract:* In this talk I will present our recent work on understanding
distributed dataflow systems like Apache Spark, Apache Flink, and Google’s
TensorFlow. The first part of the talk will focus on understanding the
semantics of distributed dataflows: Why does a dataflow return certain
results and how should output explanations look like? To answer such
questions, we leverage existing work in data provenance, and we advance the
state-of-the-art to provide output explanations that are both sufficient
and concise. The second part of the talk will focus on understanding the
performance of distributed dataflows: Why is a dataflow execution slow and
which are the bottlenecks in the pipeline? To answer such questions, we
leverage existing work on critical path methods, and we advance the
state-of-the-art to analyse the performance of dynamic and continuous
computations in near-real time. We have implemented our ideas in a
prototype system, Strymon, that builds on top of the novel Timely Dataflow
framework written in Rust. Strymon’s ultimate goal is to provide fast and
meaningful insights into complex enterprise datacenters by processing logs
of events collected at all levels of the software and hardware stack in
real time.

*Bio:* John Liagouris is a post-doctoral researcher at ETH Zurich, and a
member of the Systems Group. Before joining ETHZ, he was a visiting
research fellow at the University of Hong Kong (2013-2014), and a research
assistant at the Institute for the Management of Information Systems (IMIS)
of the Research and Innovation Center 'Athena', Greece (2009-2015). Dr.
Liagouris obtained a diploma in Electrical and Computer Engineering in
2008, and a PhD in 2015, both from NTU Athens, Greece. His research
interests lie in the areas of datacenter monitoring, modelling and
simulation, real-time analytics, graph data management, distributed system
profiling, and software defined networks.