[Dmbu-l] Data Group Seminar

Harshal Chaudhari harshal at bu.edu
Thu Sep 22 11:57:22 EDT 2016

*Data Seminar*

*Impact of daily deals on App performance: A case-study of Amazon
AppstoreHarshal Chaudhari, BU*

*Friday, September 23, 2016 at 10:30am in Hariri Seminar Room*

*Speaker: *Harshal Chaudhari, BU http://cs-people.bu.edu/harshal

*Title: *Impact of daily deals on App performance: A case-study of Amazon
Appstore

*Abstract: *The mobile app economy is growing at an unprecedented pace with
over half a million independent developers competing for the attention of
same potential customers, using innovative marketing strategies. In this
talk, we discuss one such strategy - ‘Amazon Free App of the Day’
promotion, its impact on future app downloads and ratings. I shall present
several findings - first, the bottom ranked low quality apps are bigger
beneficiaries of a full price discounted promotion, compared to the top
ranked high quality apps. Second, all the promoted apps experience a short
term negative effect on the star ratings. Third, we show the presence of a
cross market spillover effect of this promotion on the rankings of same
apps on Google Playstore. These results underline an interesting trade-off
for the developers participating in such promotions: short term increase in
downloads, at the cost of lower star ratings and lost revenue on the day of
promotion. Finally, we shall discuss the implications of this study on
mobile marketing analytics, and app design strategies.

--
Harshal Chaudhari