[Dmbu-l] Data Mining Talk, Wednesday 11/30, at 11am MCS 148

Harshal Chaudhari harshal at bu.edu
Mon Nov 28 12:39:13 EST 2016

*Mining Behavioral Data: Inference Threats and Privacy Countermeasures*
*Stratis Ioannidis*
*, Northeastern University*
*Wednesday, November 30, 2016 at 11am in MCS 148*

*Speaker: *Stratis Ioannidis, Northeastern University

*Title:* Mining Behavioral Data: Inference Threats and Privacy
Countermeasures

*Abstract:* Online services routinely mine behavioral data to perform tasks
crucial to their daily operations, including targeted advertising and
personalized recommendations. This practice has raised privacy concerns
among consumer advocacy groups, regulatory bodies, and the public at large.
We study threats arising from the unfettered access to behavioral data, and
show that personal information can be successfully inferred from seemingly
innocuous online behavior. We also show that behavioral data by multiple
users sharing a single online account can be identified as such and
separated, establishing that the above threats are relevant even in the
presence of multiple users. Finally, we present methods mitigating privacy
risks while preserving the utility of services mining behavioral data,
using both
statistical and cryptographic techniques.

*Bio: *Stratis Ioannidis is an assistant professor in the ECE department of
Northeastern University, in Boston, MA. He received his B.Sc. (2002) in
Electrical and Computer Engineering from the National Technical University
of Athens, Greece, and his M.Sc.(2004) and Ph.D. (2009) in Computer Science
from the University of Toronto, Canada. Prior to joining Northeastern, he
was a research scientist at the Technicolor research centers in Paris,
France, and Los Altos, CA, as well as at Yahoo Labs in Sunnyvale, CA.

--
Harshal Chaudhari