[Dmbu-l] Data Seminar

Harshal Chaudhari harshal at bu.edu
Thu Nov 17 11:21:29 EST 2016

*Data Seminar*
*Approximating Betweenness Centrality through Sampling with the Rademacher
Averages*
*Matteo Riondato, Brown University*
*Friday, November 18, 2016 at 10:30am in Hariri Seminar Room*

*Speaker: *Matteo Riondato, Two Sigma Investments and Brown University

*Title:* Approximating Betweenness Centrality through Sampling with the
Rademacher Averages

*Abstract:* We show a sampling-based randomized approximation algorithm for
estimating the betweenness centrality of all nodes in a graph, and to keep
the estimations up-to-date as the graph evolves. Our algorithm, called
ABRA, employs progressive sampling and a stopping condition that uses
efficient-to-compute bounds to the Rademacher Averages, a fundamental
concept from statistical learning theory. We also use pseudo-dimension to
prove an upper bound to the number of samples needed by the algorithm. ABRA
outperforms existing state-of-the-art algorithms offering the same quality
guarantees, both in running time and in the number of samples needed.

This is joint work with Eli Upfal (Brown) and was published as a full paper
at ACM KDD’16.

*Bio: *Matteo Riondato is a Research Scientist in the Labs at Two Sigma
Investments and a Visiting Assistant Professor in Computer Science at Brown
University. His research focus is in algorithmic data science, developing
theory and methods to extract the most information from large datasets, as
fast as possible and in a statistically sound way. He got is PhD from Brown
and held postdoc positions at Brown and Stanford. His  works received the
best student poster award at the 2014 SIAM International Conference on Data
Mining (SDM) and the best student paper award at the 2016 ACM SIGKDD
International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDD). He
tweets @teorionda and lives at http://matteo.rionda.to.

--
Harshal Chaudhari