[Dmbu-l] Fwd: [cs-talks] PhD Thesis Proposal- September 8, 2015

Xianrui Meng xmeng at cs.bu.edu
Fri Sep 4 14:57:47 EDT 2015

*PhD Thesis Proposal*

*Practical Privacy-Preserving Queries on Encrypted Databases *

*Xianrui Meng, Boston University*

*Tuesday, 9/8/2015 @ 11:00am Hariri Institute Seminar Room*

*Abstract: *

In this thesis, we study the problem of practical privacy-preserving
database query processing on structured data (e.g., relational and graph
databases). Privacy and security concerns in outsourced cloud databases
have become more and more important recently and many efficient and
scalable query processing methods over encrypted data have been proposed.
Despite that, many challenges remain to be addressed due to the complexity
of many complicated queries on encrypted large-scale datasets. In this
thesis, we propose several practical and provable secure structured
encryption schemes that allow the data owner to encrypt data without losing
the ability to query and retrieve it efficiently for authorized clients.
This thesis includes two parts. The first part is about graph encryption
schemes for approximate shortest distance queries. Such schemes allow the
client to query the shortest distance between two nodes in an encrypted
graph. We also explore how our techniques can be applied to other
interesting graph queries. The second part involves executing secure top-k
queries on encrypted relational databases. Finally, we also explore the
problem of top-k join queries over multiple encrypted relations.

Committee:

George Kollios

Steven Homer
Evimaria Terzi