[Dmbu-l] Talk next Tuesday Nov 17 11am

Natali Ruchansky natalir at bu.edu
Fri Nov 13 19:42:34 EST 2015

Hi all,

Next week we have Merrielle Spain from Lincoln Labs coming to give a talk
at our seminar.
If a few of you could volunteer to have lunch with her that would be
great...she's really nice!

*Speaker*: Merrielle Spain (Lincoln Labs)
*Title*: Discovering and Interpreting Overlapping Communities in Graphs
*Abstract*: Graph communities reveal efficient resource configurations,
simplify structure for supervised learning, and identify individuals of
interest. In graphs such as communication networks, nodes naturally belong
to multiple communities. Link clustering captures this by enabling nodes to
inherit community membership from their edges [Ahn et al., 2010]. We
identified how link clustering scales and harnessed this insight to
increase speed. We then temporarily removed high-degree nodes to further
increase speed. Finally, we considered measuring cluster quality with
incomplete ground truth and interpreted clusters using metadata.

--
Natali :)