[Dmbu-l] starting a student seminar

Natali Ruchansky natalir at bu.edu
Fri Jun 19 09:22:53 EDT 2015

Guys,

After seeing so many horrendous presentations at SIGMOD, I was thinking of
starting a seminar where students come and give a 5-15 min presentation
(white-board or slides).  It can be about their research, a practice talk,
but hopefully just something new and interesting they've learned -- maybe a
funny paper or a cool dataset/study.

I want it to be across the whole department so students can practice give
clear, concise presentation even to people unfamiliar with the topic.
Also I feel we are really divided as a department.

I want it to be so short because it'll increase the chance of participation
and mainly because its a challenge to present background, problem, and
proof all in such a short time.

My issue is that it will only work if people participate, and I'm not at
all confident this will happen.
*So please tell me honestly, in private or public, if you would attend such
a thing.*

Thanks!!
Natali :)

PS. They do this type of thing at InfoLab in Stanford