[Dmbu-l] Fwd: Data Science for Social Good Summer Fellowship Announcement

Natali Ruchansky natalir at bu.edu
Thu Dec 17 07:35:38 EST 2015

FYI, see below:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Lauren Haynes <lnhaynes at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 3:00 PM

We’re running the Data Science for Social Good Summer Fellowship
<http://dssg.uchicago.edu/> again in 2016 and the application deadline is
Feb
1st. I wanted to ask for help in getting strong students to apply. *If
there are students and/or colleagues (as mentors) who you think would be a
good fit, please forward this on to them and/or send it to any mailing
lists you think are relevant*.

We typically look for a mix of students: Computer Science, Machine
Learning, Statistics, Social Sciences, Public Policy; and create teams that
spend 12 weeks over the summer working in partnership with a non-profit or
government organization on projects related to education, health,
sustainability, community & economic development, disaster relief, crime,
social services, social justice, and more. I want to make sure people who
are interested get to be a part of this and really appreciate your help in
getting the word out! I'm also happy to discuss the program further if you
want to get involved in any way.

*More details:*

Want to learn more about the fellowship? Visit http://dssg.uchicago.edu
<
https://xmail.uchicago.edu/owa/redir.aspx?C=XHiHgBO52EyNEoTTHnrK6sy0B2dGBtIImixj6mnwxowEx1vro2IXGRrCcBQhjD-3qPvlAdupzw0.&URL=http%3a%2f%2fdssg.uchicago.edu

We are looking for:

*Fellows*: Typically grad students (or advanced undergrads) who have
computational and data analysis skills and want to make a social impact.
Most of our fellows have backgrounds in CS, Machine Learning, Data Mining,
Stats, Applied Math, Economics, Sociology, Other Social Sciences, and
Public Policy.

*Mentors*: If you're a Faculty member (with significant industry
experience) or an experienced Data Scientist (with strong academic
training) who wants to come join us for the summer, we have full-time
(paid) mentor positions.

Apply at http://dssg.uchicago.edu
<
https://xmail.uchicago.edu/owa/redir.aspx?C=XHiHgBO52EyNEoTTHnrK6sy0B2dGBtIImixj6mnwxowEx1vro2IXGRrCcBQhjD-3qPvlAdupzw0.&URL=http%3a%2f%2fdssg.uchicago.edu

Thanks,

Lauren Haynes
Senior Project Manager
Center for Data Science and Public Policy

--
Natali :)
http://cs-people.bu.edu/natalir/