[Dmbu-l] Talk by Pauli Miettinen Tuesday 4/28 at 11 am MCS 148

Dora Erdos edori at bu.edu
Fri Apr 24 13:08:14 EDT 2015

Hi All,

we have a visitor next Tuesday. Come to his Talk!

Dora

Speaker:  Pauli Miettinen, Max Planck Institut for Informatics
  Time and location: Tuesday, 4/28/2015 11-12 am. MCS 148.

Title: Matrix Factorizations Over Non-Conventional Algebras in Data Mining

Abstract
Matrix factorization methods---and more broadly, linear-algebra-based
methods---are well-used and well-loved in data mining. Most popular
methods are based on the standard linear algebra, but recent years have
seen increased interest in methods based on non-conventional algebras,
most notably, the Boolean algebra. Using non-standard algebras can have
multiple benefits: the factor matrices can be sparser or easier to
interpret, for example, but most importantly, it will allow us to find
structures different to those we find using the standard linear algebra.

In this talk, I will cover the basic ideas behind the Boolean matrix
factorization and its recent developments and applications both in data
mining and in related areas. We will also see some other non-standard
algebras, such as tropical and subtropical algebras, and their potential
applications to data mining problems. In the end, I will briefly discuss
ongoing work on generalizing the concept of outer product and approaching
the matrix factorizations from this point of view.

Bio:
Pauli did his PhD at University of Helsinki, Finland, in Prof. Heikki
Mannila's group, where he graduated at 2009. After a short post-doc period
at Helsinki, he moved to Max-Planck Institute for Informatics in
Saarbrücken, Germany, where he is currently a senior researcher and the
leader of research field Data Mining. His current research focus is on
redescription mining and non-conventional matrix and tensor factorizations
and their applications to data mining. His work has appeared in numerous
publications in top data mining and theoretical computer science venues.
He has received two best paper awards and an honorary mention at 2010 ACM
SIGKDD Doctoral dissertation awards. While he insists that 1+1=1, he
accepts that other people might have different opinions.