[Dmbu-l] Talk by Nicola Perra (MoBs Lab NEU) Friday 10/3 10:30 am MCS 148

Dora Erdos edori at bu.edu
Thu Sep 25 10:29:47 EDT 2014

Hi All,

Friday 10/3 Nicola Perra is going to give a talk on Modeling dynamical
processes on complex networks. Nicola has a PhD  in physics in the field
of complex networks science and statistical mechanics. Until recently he
was a post-doc at MoBs lab, he continues to stay there as an associate
research scientist.

Nicola will be available after the talk. Let me know if you would like to
meet him and whether you have any time preference.

FYI we have invited speakers for both the two weeks following Nicola too.

Best,
Dora

Title:

Modeling Dynamical Processes on Complex Networks

Abstract:

The spreading of infectious diseases, malwares, scientific ideas, memes
are just few example of real world phenomena that can be modeled as
dynamical processes on networks. In some cases, like for the spreading of
a pandemic, the timescale governing disease's diffusion can be decoupled
from the timescale driving human contacts. In others, like for the
spreading of memes on social networks, the two timescales cannot be
separated. Indeed, the concurrence, duration and order of contacts are
crucial ingredients for the diffusion.
During my talk I will first tackle the first limit presenting a realistic
predictive data-driven model that considering the time-scale separation
between human interactions and force of infection simulate the global
spreading of influenza like illness. I will then tackle the second limit
presenting a novel mathematical framework for the modeling of highly
time-varying networks and processes. In particular, I will focus on
epidemic spreading, random walks, and controlling strategies on temporal
networks.