[Dmbu-l] db seminar, Friday, 9/12 10:15 MCS 148

Dora Erdos edori at bu.edu
Mon Sep 8 12:46:30 EDT 2014

Hi All,

this is a reminder that our first DB seminar will be this Friday, 9/12 at
10:15 am in MCS 148. This session will be to discuss the schedule for this
semester's meetings.

Preparation: Most likely we won't have speakers for every week, hence I
would like to suggest the following. During your research I am sure
everyone had to read up on a topic that was outside of your expertise. For
example, lately I have been reading a lot on properties of positive
semidefinite matrices. Since the tools/topics that you needed for
your research might also be useful for others in the group, I suggest that
everyone prepares a short talk on some topic that they found useful. You
don't need to make slides, just a short white-board presentation and we
all understand that you are not an expert on the topic.  If everyone could
please
think of such a topic for Friday's meeting, then we could schedule every
person for a presentation on the weeks that we don't have a speaker. Do
you like this idea?

Schedule: We already have two confirmed speakers: 9/19 Yishou Sun from CS
Northeastern Univ. on mining heterogenous networks and 10/3 Nicola Perra
modeling dynamical processes on complex networks from MOBS lab at NEU.

If you have any suggestions whom to invite, pelase contact me.

Thanks,
Dora