[Dmbu-l] Talk by Harry Mavroforakis, Friday 10/31 10:30 am MCS 148

Dora Erdos edori at bu.edu
Mon Oct 27 10:13:26 EDT 2014

Hi All,

this week we are continueing with our casual but informative talks. This
time Harry is going to teach us about heat kernels.

Next week we will have an invited speaker again.

Best,
Dora

Title: Heat Kernels for Graphs

Abstract:
The diffusion of information over a network is a process that has been
studied extensively, both analytically as well as empirically. Many models
of diffusion have been suggested, each with its own properties, e.g. SIR,
SIS, IC, etc. In this talk, we will focus on the Heat Kernel, a model in
which information travels the same way as the heat on the surface of a hot
pan. We will go over the definition and its derivation, discuss about the
properties that it has and provide examples of some of its applications.