[Dmbu-l] Talk by Ilya Razenshteyn Friday 10/10 10:30 am MCS 148

Dora Erdos edori at bu.edu
Mon Oct 13 14:05:40 EDT 2014

Hi All,

this weeks talk is by Ilya Razenshteyn from MIT. Please let me know if you
would like to meet with the speaker.

Best,
Dora

Title: Locality-Sensitive Hashing and Beyond

Abstract: yLocality-Sensitive Hashing (LSH) is by now a standard technique
for
solving the Approximate Nearest Neighbor (ANN) problem. In my talk I will
define LSH and show several constructions of good hash families. Then I
will state some limitations of LSH and describe a recent line of research
that provides data structures for ANN that are provably better than what
LSH could give.

The talk is partially based on joint works with Alexandr Andoni, Piotr
Indyk and Nguyen Le Huy.