[Dmbu-l] How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Crowd: Tomorrow (3/21) @ 11AM, MCS148

Charalampos Mavroforakis cmav at bu.edu
Thu Mar 20 12:56:26 EDT 2014

Hi all,

This is a reminder for tomorrow's talk by Adam Marcus.

Thanks,
Harry

*How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Crowd*
*Adam Marcus, Director of Data at Locu/GoDaddy*
*Friday, March 21, 2014 at 11AM in MCS 148*

*Abstract: *Crowdsourcing marketplaces like oDesk or Amazon's Mechanical
Turk give us access to people all over the world that can perform work on
our behalf, ranging from virtual personal assistants to people that can
clean up gnarly datasets. Humans can solve tasks that artificial
intelligence is not yet able to solve, or needs help solving, without
having to resort to complex machine learning or statistics. But humans are
quirky: give them bad instructions, allow them to get bored, or make them
do too repetitive a task, and they will start making mistakes. In this
talk, I'll explain how Locu/GoDaddy uses a mix of crowd work and machine
learning to perform web-scale structured data extraction and entity
resolution.

*Speaker Bio: *Adam is the Director of Data at Locu/GoDaddy. He completed
his Ph.D. in Computer Science at MIT in 2012, where his dissertation was on
database systems and human computation. He is a recipient of the NSF and
NDSEG fellowships, and has previously worked at ITA, Google, IBM, and
FactSet. In his free time, he builds course content to get people excited
about data and programming.