[Dmbu-l] How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Crowd: Next Friday (3/21) @ 11AM, MCS 148

Charalampos Mavroforakis cmav at bu.edu
Tue Mar 11 18:24:30 EDT 2014

Hi all,

*Next* Friday (21st March) we will be hosting Adam Marcus, who is a data
scientist in Locu. Locu is a company that aims to help merchants. To this
end, they use a lot of crowdsourcing, so it will be interesting to learn
how they deal with it in practice. If you are interested in meeting with
Adam, please send me an email.

Thanks,
Harry

*How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Crowd*
*Adam Marcus, Director of Data at Locu/GoDaddy*
*Friday, March 21, 2014 at 11AM in MCS 148*

*Abstract: *Crowdsourcing marketplaces like oDesk or Amazon's Mechanical
Turk give us access to people all over the world that can perform work on
our behalf, ranging from virtual personal assistants to people that can
clean up gnarly datasets. Humans can solve tasks that artificial
intelligence is not yet able to solve, or needs help solving, without
having to resort to complex machine learning or statistics. But humans are
quirky: give them bad instructions, allow them to get bored, or make them
do too repetitive a task, and they will start making mistakes. In this
talk, I'll explain how Locu/GoDaddy uses a mix of crowd work and machine
learning to perform web-scale structured data extraction and entity
resolution.

*Speaker Bio: *Adam is the Director of Data at Locu/GoDaddy. He completed
his Ph.D. in Computer Science at MIT in 2012, where his dissertation was on
database systems and human computation. He is a recipient of the NSF and
NDSEG fellowships, and has previously worked at ITA, Google, IBM, and
FactSet. In his free time, he builds course content to get people excited
about data and programming.

- Harry
http://cs-people.bu.edu/cmav/