[Dmbu-l] Reimagining textbooks through the data lens: Friday @ 11AM, MCS 148

Charalampos Mavroforakis cmav at bu.edu
Wed Oct 9 15:33:53 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I want to remind you that on Friday we will be hosting Anitha Kannan.
Here's the talk abstract.

Thanks,

*Reimagining textbooks through the data lens*
*Anitha Kannan, MSR*
*Friday, October 11, 2013 at 11AM in MCS 148*

*Abstract:* Textbooks are the primary vehicles for delivering subject
knowledge to students. They are known to be the educational input most
consistently associated with improvements in student learning. With the
emergence of  abundant online content, cloud computing, and electronic
reading devices, textbooks are poised for transformative changes. Inspired
by the emergence of the electronic medium for ``printing'' and
``distributing'' textbooks, we will present our explorations into enhancing
the quality of electronic textbooks. In this talk, I will describe our work
towards (a) augmenting textbooks with  multimedia content mined from the
web and (b)  providing rich navigational aids for enhancing learning
experience.  We have validated our work using textbooks on different
subjects, across grades. The results are encouraging and indicate that
developing technological approaches for enhancing textbooks can, indeed,
enable rich learning experience.

*Bio:*  Anitha Kannan is a researcher at Microsoft Research, Silicon
Valley. Before moving to Silicon Valley lab, she spent two years at
Microsoft Research, Cambridge UK and was a Darwin Fellow at University of
Cambridge. She obtained her PhD from University of Toronto in 2006.  Her
research focuses on machine learning, and she has worked on practical
problems arising in web search, computer vision and computational biology.
Her current interests is on building transformative technological solutions
that enables students to have rich
learning experience.

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/people/ankannan/