[Dmbu-l] Measuring Personalization of Web Search. Friday @ 11AM, MCS 148

Charalampos Mavroforakis cmav at bu.edu
Thu Nov 21 16:55:18 EST 2013

Hi all,

here's a reminder for tomorrow's talk.

*Title:* Measuring Personalization of Web Search
*Speaker:* Aniko Hannak, College of Computer & Information Science at
Northeastern University

Aniko will be talking about her recent paper in WWW'13 [1] on measuring
personalization in Web search. Time permitting, she will also show a few
slides on some research currently going on in her lab.

*Abstract: *
Web search is an integral part of our daily lives. Recently, there has been
a trend of personalization in Web search, where different users receive
different results for the same
search query. The increasing personalization is leading to
concerns about Filter Bubble effects, where certain users are
simply unable to access information that the search engines'
algorithm decides is irrelevant. Despite these concerns, there
has been little quantification of the extent of personalization
in Web search today, or the user attributes that cause it.
In light of this situation, we make three contributions.
First, we develop a methodology for measuring personalization in Web search
results. Second, we apply our methodology to 200 users on Google Web Search
and find that, on average, 11.7% of results show differences due to
personalization. Third, we investigate the causes of personalization on
Google Web Search. Surprisingly, we only find measurable
personalization as a result of searching with a logged in account and the
IP address of the searching user. Our results are a first step towards
understanding the extent and effects
of personalization on Web search engines today.

[1] Aniko Hannak, Piotr Sapieżyński, Arash Molavi Kakhki, Balachander
Krishnamurthy, David Lazer, Alan Mislove, and Christo Wilson, "Measuring
Personalization of Web Search"
 in Proceedings of the 22nd International World Wide Web Conference
(WWW'13), Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, May 2013.

*Bio: *Aniko Hannak received her B.S. in mathematics and sociology from
Eotvos Lorand University in Budapest. Currently she is a Ph.D. candidate
in the College of Computer & Information Science at Northeastern
University. Her advisers are Alan Mislove and David Lazer. Her research
interests include measurements on online social networks and the Web as
well as investigating the impact of personalization in various Web services.

- Harry
http://cs-people.bu.edu/cmav/