[Dmbu-l] Talk tomorrow

Charalampos Mavroforakis cmav at bu.edu
Thu Dec 12 20:10:03 EST 2013

Hi everyone. There's a talk tomorrow at 11. Sorry for the late notification

Title: Data Driven Location Services
Speaker: Tao Wu, Lead Data Scientist, Data & Analytics, Nokia
Friday, December 13, 2013 in MCS 148 at 11am

Abstract:  Data has long been the center of map making, but the arrival of big data is changing how location services are built.  In this talk, I will review some of the work that we are doing to help Nokia's HERE location business to improve its products and services.  In these projects, we utilize elastic cloud infrastructure to mine large amount of data from various sources.  The output of these projects is used to enrich and/or improve HERE's POI data assets.

Bio: Dr. Tao Wu is Lead Data Scientist at Nokia’s Data and Analytics organization. He manages data science team and projects that derive insights from Nokia’s Big Data asset. Such insights are the basis of several data products under development. Prior to his current role, he was a platform architect, responsible for building from the ground up Nokia’s petabyte scale analytics platform. Earlier, he was with Nokia Research Center and was a Research Affiliate at MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory. He has over 20 publications and 10 patents in the areas of performance analysis of distributed systems, speech recognition and machine learning.