[Dmbu-l] Talk tomorrow by prof. Evimaria Terzi - 12:00 at MCS 148

Charalampos Mavroforakis cmav at bu.edu
Thu Apr 18 10:24:55 EDT 2013

Hello everyone.

Tomorrow at 12:00 in MCS 148, professor Evimaria Terzi will be giving a
talk. Details follow:

The process of opinion formation through synthesis and contrast of
different viewpoints has been the subject of many studies in economics and
social sciences. Today, this process manifests itself also in online social
networks and social media. The key characteristic of successful promotion
campaigns is that they take into consideration such opinion-formation
dynamics in order to create a overall favorable opinion about a specific
information item, such as a person, a product, or an idea.
In this talk, I will describe how we adopt a well-established model for
social-opinion dynamics and formalize the campaign-design problem as the
problem of identifying a set of target individuals whose positive opinion
about an information item will maximize the overall positive opinion for
the item in the social network. We call this problem CAMPAIGN.
In the talk, I will give some complexity results
related to the CAMPAIGN problem, describe efficient approximation
 algorithms for solving it and give some experimental evidence on how it
works on practical settings.
I will also discuss the difference between the CAMPAIGN problem and other
existing problems for maximization of information propagation in social
networks.

This is joint work with Aris Gionis and Panayiotis Tsaparas

Thanks,
Harry