[cs-talks] AI Seminar, Craig Yu, 11/1 @ 1pm in the Hariri Seminar Room

Harrington, Jacob Walter jwharrin at bu.edu
Tue Oct 31 11:46:02 EDT 2017

Creative AI: Data-driven Approaches for Human-centered Computational Design
Professor Craig Yu, Assistant Professor, University of Massachusetts, Boston
Wednesday, November 1st from 1pm – 2pm in the Hariri Seminar Room (111 Cummington Mall, Room 180)

Abstract: With the increasing amount of 3D data captured from the real world and human perceptual data that can be obtained from virtual reality, it becomes very promising to devise data-driven computational design approaches for creating highly immersive 3D virtual environments, as well as "functional" 3D models that can be 3D-printed and used for real-world purposes. In this talk, I will discuss the recent progress of our group in data-driven computational design, including automatic interior design, architectural design, zoomorphic furniture design, and the design of reconfigurable objects and dissections puzzles. I will conclude my talk by discussing some interesting problems in computer graphics, vision, cognitive science and robotics along this direction.

Bio: Craig Yu is an assistant professor at the UMass Boston. His research interests are in computer graphics, vision and virtual reality. He obtained his PhD degree in Computer Science from UCLA in 2013, where he received the Outstanding Recognition in Research. He is a recipient of the Cisco Outstanding Graduate Research Award, the Award of Excellence from Microsoft Research and the UCLA Dissertation Year Fellowship. His research has been featured in New Scientist, the UCLA Headlines, the UCLA Mathematics Newsletter and newspapers internationally. His lab is supported by the NSF