[cs-talks] Tomorrow at Hariri: Cyber Alliance and AI Research Initiative events

Barnes, Kaitlin S ksbarnes at bu.edu
Tue Oct 10 13:57:10 EDT 2017

The Hariri Institute for Computing is excited to be hosting two afternoon events tomorrow, October 11th. Please join us and spread the word!

AI Research Initiative Seminar Series
Wednesday, October 11, 1-2pm, Hariri Institute for Computing Seminar Room
In-Car AI Assistant
Jan Kautz, Senior Director of Visual Computing and Machine Learning Research, NVIDIA

Abstract: Data show that ninety percent of car crashes involve some form of driver distraction. Until we reach complete automation in cars, the driver will continue to be in the loop. To make cars safer and to enhance the driving experience, at NVIDIA, we are designing smart interfaces inside cars using computer vision and deep learning technology. I will describe our research on monitoring the driver using NVIDIA’s tracking technologies, including head pose, gaze tracking, and dynamic hand gesture recognition.

Wed at Hariri/Cyber Alliance Speaker Series
Wednesday, October 11, 3:00-4:30pm, refreshments & networking at 2:45pm, Hariri Institute for Computing Seminar Room
The Rise of Big Data Policing: Surveillance, Race, and the Future of Law Enforcement (book talk)
Andrew Guthrie Ferguson, Professor of Law, UDC David A. Clarke School of Law

Abstract: Big data technologies are revolutionizing policing. The Rise of Big Data Policing explores how data-driven surveillance technologies impact the “who,” “where”, “when,” and “how” of everyday policing. The book critically examines the future of these digital technologies with particular focus on concerns about racial bias, transparency, and the erosion of constitutional rights. Big data policing has a “black data” problem as the legacy issues of racial discrimination, opacity, and distortions to constitutional protections threaten to undermine the legitimacy of these law enforcement innovations. Written by a law professor and national expert in predictive policing and surveillance, this book seeks to explain how citizens, police administrators, communities, lawyers, technologists, activists, and everyone else should respond to the growth of big data policing. It is the first book to offer a critical examination of the legal impact of these new technologies, as well as a strategy to use the same big data innovations to improve police accountability and remedy the underlying socio-economic risk factors that encourage crime.