[cs-talks] Giovanni Comarela PhD Thesis Proposal

Harrington, Jacob Walter jwharrin at bu.edu
Fri May 5 13:57:38 EDT 2017

On the Dynamics of Interdomain Routing in the Internet
Giovanni Comarela, PhD Thesis proposal
Monday, May 8th, 9am – 11am in MCS 148

Abstract:
Understanding the dynamics of the interdomain routing system is challenging. One reason is the size and complexity of the network. Another is that a single routing or policy change can have far reaching and complex effects. In this presentation, I will discuss methods to overcome these difficulties. First, we define a new metric that allows us to measure the similarity between two prefixes with respect to the state of the global routing system [1]. Applying this metric over time yields a measure of how the set of total paths to
each prefix varies at a given timescale.  Second, we present PathMiner [2], a system to extract large scale routing events from background noise and identify the AS or link most likely responsible for the event. PathMiner is distinguished from previous work in its ability to identify and analyze large-scale events that may re-occur many times over long timescales.

[1] http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2504771
[2] http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2663754

Committee members:
Mark Crovella (advisor)