[cs-talks] Talk by Prof. Torsten Braun, TOMORROW, Wed 8/16, 11am, Hariri seminar room

Matta, Abraham I matta at bu.edu
Tue Aug 15 13:22:02 EDT 2017

Title: Information-Centric Networking in Wireless and Mobile Networks

Speaker: Professor Torsten Braun, University of Bern, Switzerland

When and where: Wednesday, August 16, 2017, 11:00am, Hariri Seminar Room (111 Cummington Mall, Room 180).

Abstract:

In this talk we discuss challenges and opportunities of information-centric networking (ICN) in wireless and mobile networks. First, we describe NetCod, an approach using network coding in multi-path network environments to support efficient and reliable video streaming. We investigate the use of ICN in vehicular networks and present a solution for the Reverse Path Partitioning problem, which occurs when Data messages can not be sent along the same path as established by Interest messages. We discuss a virtualized architecture for cellular networks, where edge network caches can be proactively filled with data dependent on users' mobility.  This approach, however, achieves good performance when users' mobility can be predicted accurately. Thus, we investigated proactive caching mechanisms, which are more robust to mobility prediction mistakes, by caching in nodes somewhat closer to the core of the network. Finally, we discuss our recent work on mobility prediction in cellular networks exploiting the combination of various machine learning mechanisms.

Bio: Professor Torsten Braun is a Professor of Computer Science at the University of Bern, Switzerland. He leads the Communication and Distributed Systems (CDS) research group. The CDS group conducts research in a wide range of areas, including mobile and wireless communications, sensor networks, multimedia, information-centric networking, cloud computing and networking, and security. Prof. Braun was a visiting scientist at INRIA (France), IBM (Germany), Bell Labs (US), Lancaster University (UK), and Universidade de São Paulo (Brazil). He has been Vice-Chairman of SWITCH – Teleinformatics services for teaching and research Foundation Council since 2011. http://www.cds.unibe.ch/about_us/team/prof_dr_braun_torsten/

[Prof. Braun has been visiting BU CS and this week is his last week. Please email him directly at braun at inf.unibe.ch<mailto:braun at inf.unibe.ch> if you’d like to meet him.]