[cs-talks] Talk by Prof. Torsten Braun, next Wed 8/16, 11am, Hariri seminar room

Matta, Abraham I matta at bu.edu
Tue Aug 8 14:23:46 EDT 2017

Title: Information-Centric Networking in Wireless and Mobile Networks

Speaker: Professor Torsten Braun
http://www.cds.unibe.ch/about_us/team/prof_dr_braun_torsten/

[Prof. Braun is now visiting BU CS and next week is his last week. Please email him directly at braun at inf.unibe.ch<mailto:braun at inf.unibe.ch> if you’d like to meet him before then.]

When and where: Wednesday, August 16, 2017, 11:00am, Hariri Seminar Room (111 Cummington Mall, Room 180).

Abstract:

In this talk we discuss challenges and opportunities of information-centric networking (ICN) in wireless and mobile networks. First, we describe NetCod, an approach using network coding in multi-path network environments to support efficient and reliable video streaming. We investigate the use of ICN in vehicular networks and present a solution for the Reverse Path Partitioning problem, which occurs when Data messages can not be sent along the same path as established by Interest messages. We discuss a virtualized architecture for cellular networks, where edge network caches can be proactively filled with data dependent on users' mobility.  This approach, however, achieves good performance when users' mobility can be predicted accurately. Thus, we investigated proactive caching mechanisms, which are more robust to mobility prediction mistakes, by caching in nodes somewhat closer to the core of the network. Finally, we discuss our recent work on mobility prediction in cellular networks exploiting the combination of various machine learning mechanisms.