[cs-talks] IVC Seminar: Justin Solomon, Monday 5/1 at 1pm in MCS 148

Harrington, Jacob Walter jwharrin at bu.edu
Fri Apr 28 15:40:36 EDT 2017

Algorithms for Geometrically-Structured Optimization
Justin Solomon, Assistant Professor at MIT Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
Monday, May 1st, 1pm – 2pm, in MCS 148

Abstract:

Many problems in geometry processing, graph theory, and machine learning involve optimizations whose variables are defined over a geometric domain.  The geometry of the domain gives rise to geometric structure in the optimization problem itself.  In this talk, I will show how leveraging geometric structure in the optimization problem gives rise to efficient and stable algorithms applicable to a variety of application domains.  In particular, I will describe new methods for problems arising in shape analysis/correspondence, flows on graphs, and surface parameterization.

Bio:

Justin Solomon is an assistant professor in MIT's Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science.  He leads the new Geometric Data Processing Group<http://gdp.csail.mit.edu/> studying geometric problems in computer graphics, computer vision and machine learning. Related papers and materials for his presentation are posted on his web page<http://people.csail.mit.edu/jsolomon/>.