[cs-talks] Cody Doucette Oral Exam, 12/5 at 11am in MCS 148

Harrington, Jacob Walter jwharrin at bu.edu
Wed Nov 30 12:32:29 EST 2016

Architectural Defenses Against Denial of Service Attacks
Cody Doucette
Monday, December 5, 2016 at 11:00 AM in MCS 148

Abstract:

Most types of denial of service (DoS) attacks are made possible by a fundamentally architectural property of the Internet: there is no easy way for a receiver to stop unwanted traffic from a sender. On the one hand, this is a desirable feature, as it enables the free and open use of applications which has helped drive the success of the Internet. On the other hand, increasingly sophisticated and harmful attacks through cheap, widely-distributed botnets can make this feature start to look more like a bug.

Over the past 15 years, researchers have studied how to build DoS defense into the Internet at an architectural level. In this talk, I will describe the development of -- and tussle between -- various architectural approaches to protecting against DoS attacks.

Notably, none of these academic solutions have seen widespread adoption. Therefore, I will also explain the current state of affairs in commercially available DoS protection services, and describe Gatekeeper, a new DoS defense system that emphasizes instant deployability to permit even a single deploying AS to defend itself.