[cs-talks] IVC Seminar: Ming Yin, TOMORROW 11/16 at 1pm in MCS 148

Harrington, Jacob Walter jwharrin at bu.edu
Tue Nov 15 14:48:32 EST 2016

Designing Incentives for Humans in the Loop
Ming Yin, PhD Student in School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Harvard University
Wednesday November 16th, 2016 at 1pm in MCS 148

Talk abstract: The rise of social computing in recent years brings forth the idea of leveraging human intelligence to solve challenging computational tasks, which leads to a surge in computing systems that incorporate a group of humans into the loop through crowdsourcing for various purposes, such as annotating objects in images and analyzing sentiment in texts. A key factor that decides the quality of work produced by the crowd and hence the values of such human-in-the-loop computing systems is the design of incentives. In this talk, I will discuss a line of research on crowdsourcing incentive design: First, I focus on extrinsic motivation like financial incentives and experimentally examine how people react to financial incentives of different magnitude in a sequence of tasks. Then, based on the experimental insights, I use a statistical model to characterize the impact of financial incentives on crowd work quality and propose an algorithmic approach to dynamically place the financial incentives so as to obtain more high-quality work with lower cost. Finally, I also explore the possible application of intrinsic motivation in the crowdsourcing context and reveal the potential of using curiosity as an incentive to improve worker engagement in human-in-the-loop computing systems.

Bio: Ming Yin is a Ph.D. student in computer science at the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Harvard University. Her primary research interests lie in the area of social computing and crowdsourcing. The overall goal of her research is to better understand human behavior in social computing and crowdsourcing systems through large-scale online behavior experiments and incorporate the empirical insights from the behavioral data into developing models, algorithms, and interfaces to facilitate the design towards better systems. Ming is named as a Siebel Scholar (2017), and she has received Best Paper Honorable Mention at the ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI’16). Before Harvard, Ming obtained a bachelor degree in computer software from Tsinghua University, Beijing, China.

Related papers:
Ming Yin, Yiling Chen, Yu-An Sun. The Effects of Performance-Contingent Financial Incentives in Online Labor Markets. AAAI'13 (http://people.seas.harvard.edu/~myin/AAAI-13/anchoringeffect-camera.pdf)

Ming Yin, Yiling Chen. Bonus or Not? Learn to Reward in Crowdsourcing. IJCAI'15 (http://people.seas.harvard.edu/~myin/IJCAI-15/IJCAI15_bonus.pdf)

Edith Law, Ming Yin, Joslin Goh, Kevin Chen, Michael Terry, Krzysztof Z. Gajos. Curiosity Killed the Cat, but Makes Crowdwork Better. CHI'16 (http://people.seas.harvard.edu/~myin/CHI-16/curiosity.pdf)