[cs-talks] Ying Ye PhD Thesis Proposal-May 12th, 1 pm in MCS 148

Streubel, Jennifer jenn4 at bu.edu
Mon May 9 15:22:00 EDT 2016

PhD Thesis Proposal

"Predictable Resource Management in Multicore Soft Real-Time Systems"

Ying Ye, Boston University

Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 1:00 in MCS 148

abstract:

There is an increasing prevalence of multicore processors in embedded and real-time systems. These processors offer power and performance benefits over single-core alternatives running at higher clock frequencies. However, complex on-chip memory hierarchies (including
shared caches and memory buses) and sporadic device IO activities pose significant challenges for applications with real-time requirements. Unpredictable contention on shared caches and memory buses leads to highly-variable application performance. IO handling also complicates real-time analysis and resource usage accounting.

This talk presents a top down approach that addresses unpredictability issues in multicore soft real-time systems, from CPU management all the way down to IO management. For CPU, we have designed a multicore scheduling framework based on sporadic servers.  Load is balanced across cores with predictable migration while CPU usage is maximized. At the shared cache level, we have developed a dynamic cache partitioning system that reduces cache contention without sacrificing cache utilization. At the memory bus level, we have proposed a
novel performance metric and memory throttling mechanism within our scheduling framework. To finish, I will discuss a potential extension to our multicore scheduling algorithm, which uses instructions retired as budget for CPU usage accounting. I will also propose a new use of Simultaneous MultiThreading (SMT) for predictable IO management.

committee:
Richard West (advisor)
Jonathan Appavoo
Abraham Matta