[cs-talks] Yuefeng Wang PhD Thesis Proposal - Wednesday May 11th, 11:00AM

Devits, Christopher R cdevits at bu.edu
Wed May 4 15:51:31 EDT 2016

PhD Thesis Proposal
Multi-Layer Virtual Transport Network Design and Management
Yuefeng Wang, Boston University
Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 11am in MCS-148
Abstract:
Nowadays there is an increasing need for a general management paradigm, which can simplify network management and further enable network innovations. Software Defined Networking (SDN) is an efficient way to make the network programmable and reduce management complexity, however it is plagued with limitations inherited from the legacy Internet (TCP/IP) architecture.  On the other hand, service overlay networks and virtual networks are widely used to overcome deficiencies of the Internet.  However, most overlay/virtual networks are single-layered and lack dynamic scope management. Furthermore, how to solve the joint problem of designing and mapping the overlay/virtual network requests for better application and network performance remains an understudied area.

In this thesis, in response to limitations of current SDN management solutions and of the traditional single-layer overlay/virtual network design, we propose a recursive approach to enterprise network management, where network management is done through managing various Virtual Transport Networks (VTNs) over different scopes (i.e., regions of operation). Different from the traditional overlay/virtual network model which mainly focuses on routing/tunneling, our VTN approach provides communication service with explicit Quality-of-Service (QoS) support for applications via transport flows, i.e., it involves all mechanisms (e.g., routing, addressing, error and flow control, resource allocation) needed to meet application requirements.  Our approach inherently provides a multi-layer solution for overlay/virtual network design.

The contributions of this thesis are threefold:  (1) we propose a novel VTN-based management approach to enterprise network management; (2) we develop a framework for multi-layer VTN design and instantiate it to meet specific application and network goals; and (3) we design and prototype a VTN-based management architecture to validate our VTN design algorithms. Our simulation and preliminary experimental results demonstrate the flexibility of our VTN-based management approach and its performance advantages.

Committee:
Ibrahim Matta (Advisor)
Azer Bestavros
Richard West