[cs-talks] CS Upcoming Seminars: Oral Exam (Thur)

Greenwald, Faith fgreen1 at bu.edu
Tue Mar 29 16:02:46 EDT 2016

Oral Exam
Larissa Spinelli
Opinion Formation in Recommender Systems
Thursday, March 31, 2016 at 9am in MCS 148

Abstract: The goal of this talk is discuss the opinion formation process in recommender systems. Although models of opinion formation have been analyzed since 1970’s the growth in popularity of online systems, such as social networks, has led to a lot renewed research in that area. Furthermore, attention has recently been drawn to the situation in which there is a narrowing of access to information by users in online systems. This effect has been dubbed as “filter bubble” and has been motivating researchers to analyze interactions between users and recommender systems in order to detect it.

Initially, I will survey over opinion formation in social networks discussing how opinions can evolve according to a given model of information propagation. In a second moment I will discuss how users opinions have been modeling in recommender systems.