[cs-talks] Upcoming CS Seminars: IVC (Tues)

Greenwald, Faith fgreen1 at bu.edu
Tue Sep 29 11:04:28 EDT 2015

Reminder:

IVC Seminar
Colors —Messengers of Concepts: Visual Design Mining for Learning Color Semantics
Ali Jahanian, MIT
Tuesday, September 29, 2015 at 2pm in MCS 148

Abstract: Colors are cognitive: Perceived by our visual system, colors are classified at higher levels of abstraction into verbal and semantic categories. In practice, for instance in visual design, color combinations are designed not only to be appealing, but also to be silent salespersons that communicate with the audience. In this talk, I discuss my work on the concept of color semantics. I first introduce a collection of magazine covers, as professional design examples, in variety of different genres. I then describe an extension to the LDA topic modeling framework to express semantic concepts as a combination of color and word distributions —color-word topics. While LDA models text documents as distributions over word topics, we model magazine covers as distributions over color-word topics. To evaluate the strength of the model, I describe the design of two crowdsourced experiments for matching colors with words and vice versa. Finally, I demonstrate several simple prototypes that apply the learned model to color palette recommendation, design example retrieval, and image recoloring.

Bio: Ali Jahanian is a Postdoctoral Associate at MIT, working with Dr. Ruth Rosenholtz in the Vision and Graphics Area of CSAIL. Prior to MIT, Ali did a PhD in the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Purdue University, under the supervision of Prof. Jan P. Allebach. Ali’s PhD thesis focused on the automatic design of visual media as well as the quantification of such designs' aesthetics. Ali’s main interest is in developing vision models to learn aesthetics of visual design, and tools to help non-designers in visual design of media for self-publishing. His work proposes approaches towards escalating creativity and inspiration for non-designers by providing design alternatives and recommendations.

Related Papers:
Jahanian, A., Vishwanathan, S. V. N., and Allebach, J. P., Colors —Messengers of Concepts: Visual Design Mining for Learning Color Semantics. Manuscript submitted ACM TOCHI, (2015). (arXiv:1505.06532)<http://arxiv.org/abs/1505.06532>
Jahanian, A., Liu, J., Tretter, D., Lin, Q., O’Brien-Strain, E., Lee, S., Lyons, N., and Allebach, J. P., Recommendation System for Automatic Design of Magazine Covers. In Proc. ACM IUI: Intelligent User Interfaces, (2013). Paper<http://people.csail.mit.edu/jahanian/papers/Jahanian_R-ADoMC_IUI2013.pdf> BibTex<http://people.csail.mit.edu/jahanian/papers/Jahanian_R-ADoMC_IUI2013_bibtex.txt>