[cs-talks] PhD Thesis Proposal- September 8, 2015

Greenwald, Faith fgreen1 at bu.edu
Fri Sep 4 14:00:41 EDT 2015

PhD Thesis Proposal
Practical Privacy-Preserving Queries on Encrypted Databases
Xianrui Meng, Boston University
Tuesday, 9/8/2015 @ 11:00am Hariri Institute Seminar Room
Abstract:
In this thesis, we study the problem of practical privacy-preserving database query processing on structured data (e.g., relational and graph databases). Privacy and security concerns in outsourced cloud databases have become more and more important recently and many efficient and scalable query processing methods over encrypted data have been proposed. Despite that, many challenges remain to be addressed due to the complexity of many complicated queries on encrypted large-scale datasets. In this thesis, we propose several practical and provable secure structured encryption schemes that allow the data owner to encrypt data without losing the ability to query and retrieve it efficiently for authorized clients. This thesis includes two parts. The first part is about graph encryption schemes for approximate shortest distance queries. Such schemes allow the client to query the shortest distance between two nodes in an encrypted graph. We also explore how our techniques can be applied to other interesting graph queries. The second part involves executing secure top-k queries on encrypted relational databases. Finally, we also explore the problem of top-k join queries over multiple encrypted relations.

Committee:
George Kollios
Steven Homer
Evimaria Terzi