[cs-talks] Upcoming Seminar: IVC Group (Tuesday Oct 6th 2pm)

Mehrnoosh Sameki sameki at bu.edu
Mon Oct 5 14:27:36 EDT 2015

*Title: Supporting Collaborative Innovation at Scale*

*Talk topic: Creative crowd; creativity; human computation; crowdsourcing*

*Speaker: Pao Siangliulue, MIT*

*Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 2pm** in MCS 148*

Bio:

Pao Siangliulue is a Ph.D. candidate in Computer Science at Harvard
University, focusing on Human-Computer Interaction. She is broadly
interested in how to technology can support people to express themselves
creatively. Her current project focuses on designing and studying support
tools for creative collaboration on open innovation platforms.

Before joining the Intelligent Interactive Systems group at Harvard, Pao
received her B.S. in Electrical Engineering and M.S. in Computer Science
from Stanford University.

Abstract:

Emerging online innovation platforms have enabled large groups of people to
collaborate and generate ideas together in ways that were not possible
before. However, these platforms also introduce new challenges, such as
finding inspiration from a large number of ideas. Prior research suggests
that seeing particularly creative or diverse ideas suggested by others can
inspire ideators, but few scalable mechanisms exist to assess idea
diversity. We developed a scalable crowd-based method that can select sets
of diverse ideas.

Noting circumstances where outsourcing the task to crowd workers is not
feasible, we explored an “organic” human computation approach, where
community members—instead of external workers—provide information about
ideas while engaging in activities that help them with idea generation. The
results of our experiment to evaluate our organic approach show that it
creates a more accurate model of semantic relationships between ideas than
an existing crowdsourced approach at a minimal cost to the quality of
interactions.

We see this work as a step toward building more effective online platforms
for supporting large scale collective ideation. We envision an intelligent
self-sustainable ideation platform that integrates this approach to provide
more effective inspiration to community members and thus enhance creative
experience for users at both individual and community level.