[cs-talks] Upcoming Seminar: PhD Proposal (Wednesday, May 13)

Greenwald, Faith fgreen1 at bu.edu
Wed May 6 12:44:55 EDT 2015

PhD Thesis Proposal
Davide Proserpio
Online reputation management:
Estimating the impact of management responses on consumer reviews
Wednesday, May 13, 2015 at 4pm in MCS 180 (Hariri Institute)

Abstract:A growing body of literature suggests that online reviews have a large causal impact on economic outcomes ranging from restaurant revenues to hotel bookings to product final prices.
In this climate, the goal of a firm is to keep a flawless reputation. To do so, firms adopt different reputation management strategies. These strategies range from incentivizing consumers to leave reviews in exchange for perks to the creation of fake reviews to boost reputation. Recently firms have started publicly responding to online reviews as an alternative reputation management strategy.
In this talk I will focus on the effectiveness of this latter practice. A management response takes the form of an open ended piece of text that is permanently displayed beneath the review it addresses. While review platforms ensure that responses meet certain basic standards they allow any firm to respond to any reviewer. Most major review platforms, including TripAdvisor and Yelp, allow firms to respond to their reviews. Yet, despite management responses now being commonplace, their efficacy in recovering a firm’s reputation remains an open question. Our research aims to fill this gap.

I will conclude the talk with an overview of other related projects I have been working on, and discuss possible future lines of research.

Committee:
John Byers (Committee chair)
Chrysanthos Dellarocas
Sharon Goldberg (Advisor)