[cs-talks] Upcoming CS Seminars: Erdos PhD Proposal (Fri) + Bassem PhD Proposal (Mon)

Conroy, Nora Mairead conroynm at bu.edu
Fri Jan 23 09:00:39 EST 2015

PhD Proposal
Group Centrality for Repetition-Aware Content Placement
Dora Erdos, BU
Friday, January 23, 2015 at 10am in MCS 148

Abstract: In this talk I am going to  focus on the problem of identifying central nodes in repetition aware environments. Arguably, the most effective technique to ensure wide adoption of a concept (or product) is by repeatedly exposing individuals to messages that reinforce the concept (or promote the product). We propose a novel framework for the effective placement of content: Given the navigational patterns of users in a network, e.g., web graph, hyperlinked corpus, or road network, and given a model of the relationship between content-adoption and frequency of exposition, we define the repetition-aware content-placement problem as that of identifying the set of B nodes on which content should be placed so that the expected number of users adopting that content is maximized. The key contribution of our work is the introduction of memory into the navigation process, by making user conversion dependent on the number of her exposures to that content. This dependency is captured using a conversion model that is general enough to capture arbitrary dependencies. Our solution to this general problem builds upon the notion of absorbing random walks, which we extend appropriately in order to address the technicalities of our definitions.  This paper is characteristic of my work on group centrality and will be part of my thesis. In the talk I will also give a brief overview of my thesis which consists of two main topics; centrality measures and the analysis of dot-product graphs.

Committee:
Evimaria Terzi
Azer Bestavros
Pauli Miettinen
Mark Crovella
George Kollios

-------
UPCOMING

PhD Proposal Defense
Route Coordination in Brokered Environments
Christine Bassem, BU
Monday, January 26, 2015 at 11am in MCS 148
Abstract: With the recent shift towards the integration of federated commodities to provide high quality services, the adoption of brokered environments has increased. In brokered environments, participants share information about their resources and/or workloads with each other and a broker, which acts as an intermediary between them; with varying degrees of involvement.  As many services can be provided in such environments, I focus on the services that require the routing of a set of commodities over a communication/mobility graph, hence the route coordination of autonomous commodities is required.
In this talk, I will briefly present the route coordination models that I study in my thesis, and discuss in details my most recent work on network-constrained packing of brokered workloads in virtualized environments. This work is a form of implicit route coordination on stationary graphs, in which routes’ properties are implicitly defined by their endpoints, and route coordination includes the decision on the endpoints of communication. As we focus on the problem of providing predictability guarantees to data-intensive workloads, we observe the range of data-intensive applications and data center topologies to define an abstraction that allows us to relate the problem to that of bin packing with implicit network properties. Then, we exploit that abstraction to classify the problem model into several special instances, and develop polynomial-time exact algorithms for two of these special instances that occur frequently in reality. Finally, we develop a greedy heuristic to solve the problem in the general model, which we evaluate via extensive simulations.
Committee:
Azer Bestavros (reader)
Ibrahim Matta (reader)
Evimaria Terzi (reader)