[cs-talks] Upcoming Seminars: IVC (Mon) + BUSec (Weds) + IVC (Thurs) + Theory (Fri)

cs, Group cs at bu.edu
Fri Feb 20 13:42:08 EST 2015

IVC Seminar
Improving Face Analysis Using Expression Dynamics
Hamdi Diberklioglu, Delft University of Technology
Monday, February 23, 2015 at 3pm in MCS 148

Abstract: Most of the approaches in face analysis rely solely on static appearance. However, temporal analysis of expressions reveals interesting patterns. In this talk, I will describe automatic spontaneity detection for enjoyment smiles using temporal dynamics of different facial regions. We have recorded spontaneous and posed enjoyment smiles of hundreds of visitors to the NEMO Science Centre in Amsterdam, thus creating the most comprehensive smile database ever: the UvA-NEMO Smile Database (www.uva-nemo.org). Our findings on this publicly available database show that facial dynamics go beyond expression analysis. I will discuss how we can use expression dynamics to improve age estimation and kinship detection.

Bio: Hamdi Dibeklioglu received the B.Sc. degree from Yeditepe University, Istanbul, Turkey, in 2006, the M.Sc. degree from Bogazici University, Istanbul, Turkey, in 2008, and the Ph.D. degree from the University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, in 2014. He is currently a Post-Doctoral Researcher with the Pattern Recognition and Bioinformatics Group, Delft University of Technology, Delft, The Netherlands. He is also a Guest Researcher with the Intelligent Systems Lab Amsterdam, University of Amsterdam. His research interests include computer vision, pattern recognition, and automatic analysis of human behavior.

BUSec Seminar
Security and Privacy for the Forthcoming Vehicle-to-Vehicle Communications System
William Whyte, Security Innovation
Wednesday, February 25, 2015 at 10am in MCS 180 — Hariri Seminar Room

Abstract: The US Department of Transportation announced on February 3rd, 2014, that it intends to mandate a system for inclusion in all light vehicles that would allow them to broadcast their position and velocity on a more-or-less continuous basis. The system is claimed to have the capability to prevent up to 80% of all unimpaired collisions. The presentation, by a key member of the team designing the communications security for the system, will discuss the security needs, the constraints due to cost and other issues, and the efforts that are being made to ensure that the system will not compromise end-user privacy. This will include an overview of some novel cryptographic constructs that improve the scalability, robustness, and privacy of the system. There may even be proofs.

IVC Seminar
Visualize and Measure Fluid Object from Natural Videos
Tianfan Xue, MIT CSAIL
Thursday, February 26, 2015 at 4pm in MCS B29

Abstract: Measuring and visualizing the flow of air and fluids has great importance in many areas, such as aeronautical engineering, combustion research, and ballistics. Most of traditional methods replies on complicated lens setups and are limited to in-lab used. In this talk, I will show that we simply can measure the velocity and depth of air flow from natural video sequences, so that it can be used in less controlled scenario. Our main observation is that intensity variations related to movements of refractive fluid elements, as observed by one or more video cameras, are consistent over small space-time volumes. We call these “refraction wiggles”, and use them as features for tracking and stereo fusion to recover the fluid motion and depth. Specifically, I will present algorithms for 1) measuring the (2D, projected) motion of refractive fluids in monocular videos, and 2) recovering the 3D position of points on the fluid from stereo cameras. I will show the recovered air flow in various interesting scenarios.
More information on these works:
paper - http://people.csail.mit.edu/tfxue/proj/fluidflow/xue2014fluidflow.pdf,
video demo- http://people.csail.mit.edu/tfxue/proj/fluidflow/download/videoDemo.mp4,
website-  http://people.csail.mit.edu/tfxue/proj/fluidflow/index.html

Bio: Tianfan Xue is currently a 3rd-year Ph.D. student in MIT CSAIL. Before that, he received his B.E. degree from Tsinghua Universtiy, and M.Phil. degree from The Chinese University of Hong Kong. His research interests include computer vision, image processing, and machine learning.

Theory Seminar
Abstract Games for Data Structures
Kyle Burke, Plymouth State University
Friday, February 27, 2015 at 2pm in MCS 148

Abstract: Combinatorial Games can be used to motivate teaching data structures. This talk covers many games I've used in the classroom. Each game is chosen to highlight the properties of a data structure. For each game, we'll look at how difficult it is to determine winning strategies.