[Cs-contests] FW: The Small Business Challenge - Startup

Sclaroff, Stan sclaroff at bu.edu
Tue Sep 18 13:04:50 EDT 2012

From: Alex Krivov <akrivov at earlyshares.com<mailto:akrivov at earlyshares.com>>
Date: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 12:56 PM
To: "Sclaroff, Stan" <sclaroff at bu.edu<mailto:sclaroff at bu.edu>>
Cc: "Levin, Leonid A" <lnd at bu.edu<mailto:lnd at bu.edu>>
Subject: The Small Business Challenge - Startup

Dear Chairman Sclaroff, Professor Levin, and Boston University Department of Computer Science Faculty and Staff,

Thank you in advance for taking the time to review this email.

We would like to invite you to take part in a startup / small business contest:  The Small Business Challenge℠ ("SMBChallenge"). This contest invites small businesses and startup companies to compete for a share of $50,000 incash and marketing resources and allows three winners to help grow their businesses, with the premise of creating new job opportunities. I would suspect this would be of interest to many areas within Boston University Department of Computer Science and hope to see some additions from the entrepreneurial arena. I trust this contest will not only bring rewards to a Boston University team, but also in addition, bring notoriety to the Boston University brand from a startup and small business perspective. Good luck to you and the Boston University community. I look forward to future correspondence……...

How it works?

The SMBChallenge, which launched September 1st, gives the public the opportunity to decide which businesses deserve to be funded. In the first stage of the competition, which will last until October 31st, anyone can register, nominate or vote for a company at www.smbchallenge.com<http://www.smbchallenge.com/>. Each company that registers is required to make a pitch for how the Small Business Challenge℠ will help their business create more jobs. On October 31st, 25 of the most voted companies will automatically become semifinalists. Another 25 will be selected by a panel of judges, based on their potential for growth and job creation. The semifinalists will then be interviewed and evaluated to pick out the top 10, from which the public will vote for the top 3. The winner will be announced on November 9th.

The timeline is as follows:
Voting & Entry Period: September 1 - October 31
Panel Judging: October 31 - November 2
Crowd Judging: November 2  - November 7
Winners announced: November 9

Who can participate?

Businesses with less than 100 employees, as well as entrepreneurs with startup ideas, are eligible to participate. To qualify, businesses must submit<http://smbchallenge.com/challenges/1/companies/new#_=_/?pr> an application at SMBchallenge.com<http://smbchallenge.com/> and receive at least 100 votes from their supporters through social media and email campaigns. The submission, nomination and voting process will run from September 1st to October 31st.

Prizes?

The winners will be announced on November 9th. The first place will receive $25,000 in cash and advertising support, while the second and third place winners will be awarded $15,000 and $10,000, respectively.

“We know that small business growth is key to helping the U.S. economy bounce back,” said Maurice Lopes, founder and CEO of EarlyShares.com, a sponsor of the SMBChallenge. “More than 3.5 million new businesses are founded each year, but credit is tight right now, and many entrepreneurs outside ofhubs like Silicon Valley and New York have a difficult time competing for funding from venture capitalists and angel investors. Through the Small Business Challenge, we want to help fill that gap and give a boost to promising companies that have the most potential for job creation so that they continue to build their businesses and stimulate economic growth.”

You can follow the Small Business Challenge progress at www.facebook.com/smbchallenge<http://www.facebook.com/smbchallenge> or follow on twitter: www.twitter.com/smbchallenge<http://www.twitter.com/smbchallenge> or visiting the website www.smbchallenge.com<http://www.smbchallenge.com/>. For more info: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw0L8iDmpaY.

Thank you kindly.

--
[https://dl.dropbox.com/u/79822961/earlyshares%20logo%20big.png]

Alexander Krivov
Business Development Manager

EarlyShares.com<http://EarlyShares.com/?sig>

Mobile: (786) 351 4601
Office: (786) 565 3344 ext. 114
Fax: (786) 565 3346

[https://dl.dropbox.com/u/79822961/facebook_32%20copy.png]<https://www.facebook.com/EarlyShares>  [https://dl.dropbox.com/u/79822961/twitter_32%20copy.png] <http://twitter.com/#!/earlyshares/>   [https://dl.dropbox.com/u/79822961/facebook.png] <http://www.linkedin.com/company/earlyshares-com-llc>

* Before printing this please consider the environment. Don't waste paper it’s a valuable resource.
The information in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged.  It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. We have taken steps to ensure that this message is free from computer viruses; however, in accordance with good computing practice, the recipient is responsible for ensuring that it is actually virus-free before opening it.