[Cs-contests] FW: BU Student Cluster Competition, April 2-3 -- please spread the word

Sclaroff, Stan sclaroff at bu.edu
Tue Mar 8 05:44:17 EST 2011

From: "Kamalic, Daniel P" <kamalic at bu.edu<mailto:kamalic at bu.edu>>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 20:35:16 -0500
To: "Sclaroff, Stan" <sclaroff at bu.edu<mailto:sclaroff at bu.edu>>, "Grady, Ellen" <grady at bu.edu<mailto:grady at bu.edu>>, "Stauffer, Paul" <paulds at bu.edu<mailto:paulds at bu.edu>>, "Betke, Margrit" <betke at bu.edu<mailto:betke at bu.edu>>, "Reyzin, Leonid" <reyzin at bu.edu<mailto:reyzin at bu.edu>>, "West, Richard" <richwest at bu.edu<mailto:richwest at bu.edu>>, "Bestavros, Azer" <best at bu.edu<mailto:best at bu.edu>>, "Gacs, Peter" <gacs at bu.edu<mailto:gacs at bu.edu>>, "Sandvik, Anders W" <sandvik at bu.edu<mailto:sandvik at bu.edu>>
Subject: BU Student Cluster Competition, April 2-3 -- please spread the word

Paul and other CS colleagues,

My apologies if you're receiving this more than once.  This is the announcement for the BU-internal competition for which we expect the winning team will go on to the main competition at the SuperComputing convention.

Wouldyou kindly help spread the word about this to your undergrads and your colleagues who teach or employ CS/CE-motivated undergrads?  It's two weekends after spring break, so it should hit their schedules at a time when they're at their least busy.

We're also looking for faculty/staff to be on the judging panel and to help create the problem set.  Please email scc at eng-rt.bu.edu<mailto:scc at eng-rt.bu.edu>.

ENG has agreed to fund prizes. I'm thinking some moderately high-end nVidia cards for the winning team.
The email below describes it all, and there is a web site at  www.bu.edu/engit/scc<http://www.bu.edu/engit/scc>

BU Student Cluster Competition<http://www.bu.edu/engit/scc>
Saturday-Sunday, April 2-3, 2011

Fabulous prizes!
Real-world HPC experience!
Fame and glory!

…and the winning team will apply to compete in the intercollegiate competition<http://sc10.supercomputing.org/?pg=studentcluster.html> at the SC11 conference<http://sc11.supercomputing.org/>!

This is an opportunity to put all your hacking skills to the test.  Design and build a hardware and software solution  to solve several categories of real-world computational problems.  Entries will be run head-to-head and judged on brute force, efficiency, elegance, and creativity.

Undergrads only.  Seniors may compete but will not be eligible for SC11.  Teams of up to 6 students each, or individuals who’d like to be assigned to a team, should express interest to scc at eng-rt.bu.edu<mailto:scc at eng-rt.bu.edu> as soon as possible.

[cid:part1.04040400.07020108 at bu.edu]<http://www.bu.edu/engit/files/2011/02/sc10-lsu.jpg>

The Rules:

    * You may use whatever hardware and software you are able to beg or borrow, as long as your team and/or helpers can transport it to the competition location.
    * We recommend that your system be able to run off of no more than two NEMA 5-20 circuits, but systems with unique power requirements will be considered if you tell us in advance.
    * You will not be allowed to spend any more than $100 of your own or anyone else’s money.
    * The actual data of the real-world problems you will need to solve will not be revealed until the competition begins on Saturday April 2, but take a look at past SCC competitions for a good idea of what we’ll be expecting.
    * Brute-force solutions will not necessarily beat creative or elegant solutions!

--
Daniel P. Kamalic                              Phone:  (617) 358-3311
Manager of Research Computing