[Cs-contests] FW: Develop for Privacy Challenge

Daley, Katelyn M kdaley at bu.edu
Tue Feb 15 10:00:11 EST 2011

From: "Streubel, Jennifer" <jenn4 at bu.edu<mailto:jenn4 at bu.edu>>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 09:54:45 -0500
To: "'kdaley at cs.bu.edu<mailto:'kdaley at cs.bu.edu>'" <kdaley at cs.bu.edu<mailto:kdaley at cs.bu.edu>>
Subject: FW: Develop for Privacy Challenge

From: Caitlin O'Neill [mailto:coneill at aclunc.org]
Sent: Monday, February 14, 2011 7:11 PM
Subject: Develop for Privacy Challenge

Dear Computer Science department,

Hope your spring semester is off to a great start!

I just wanted to let you know that we have just launched the Develop for Privacy Challenge (http://develop4privacy.org), organized by the ACLU of Northern California, the ACLU of Washington, and the Tor Project, with the help of the Office of the Information & Privacy Commissioner of Ontario.

The goal of the 2011 Challenge is to encourage developers (academics, students, professionals, hobbyists, and anyone else) to build apps for smartphones and other mobile devices that actually enhance the privacy of users. As mobile devices become more sophisticated and handle increasing amounts of sensitive information, individuals need better tools to protect and manage this data. By supporting and promoting apps that help individuals understand and manage their own information, we hope not only to generate technology that is useful today, but also to encourage developers and companies to adopt the “privacy by design” mindset so that future devices and technologies will better anticipate future threats to privacy and provide better controls and choices for users.

To learn more about the Challenge, please visit our web site at http://develop4privacy.org.

The deadline for submissions (which must include a working app as well as source code and other materials) is May 31.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. Otherwise, I would greatly appreciate it if you would share the Challenge with colleagues, students and student groups, mailing lists, and others who might be interested in taking or supporting our Challenge and helping to make mobile privacy a reality. I’ve attached a simple flier for the Challenge in case you find that helpful.

Thanks in advance for your support and, again, please let me know if you have any additional questions or suggestions!

Best,

Caitlin O'Neill
Policy Program Assistant
ACLU of Northern California