[Cs-affiliates] Thank you and plans for upcoming parental leave - Fall semester

Devits, Christopher R cdevits at bu.edu
Wed Sep 6 07:18:05 EDT 2017

Hello and good morning everyone,

As some of you have heard by now, baby Jack decided to make an early appearance and was born 3 weeks early arriving at 11:39PM on Friday Sept. 1, coming in at 6lbs and 4 oz. Mom and baby are doing great, and our parents who are now first-time grandparents are I think are just as, if not more, excited than when Lindsay and I were born. Jack is a hungry boy, eating like a champ. We’re starting to get our routine down, I’m the night watchman as of now, but sleep is more valuable than gold at this point. I just want to say a big thank you to everyone who has reached out, we’re very excited and can’t wait to bring him by in his BU-onesie to introduce him to everyone.

I wanted to give an update on my availability, given the change in circumstances. I am on a parental leave through November 24. However, as you can see I still have internet and sometime each day to catch up on emails. I would ask that as much as possible you work directly through the CS Staff initially with your day-to-day questions and please direct all students to contact the staff as appropriate (PhDs to Jennifer, MS to Christian, Ugrads to Dora or Wayne or cs at bu.edu). If you just don’t know who to go to with your question feel free to email cs-staff at cs.bu.edu<mailto:cs-staff at cs.bu.edu> which goes to all of us, including systems admins, and someone can jump on it.

My focus needs to go to some annual projects that are due either while I’m out or shortly after I return. I’ll be working with the staff remotely as much as I can through our Slack Channel and video meetings. If you’re on Slack and see I’m online working, feel free to say hi.

I’m working out which Wednesday I will make a return to campus since I am still teaching Wednesday afternoons. Right now, the tentative plan is to be on campus Wednesday 9/20 from ~1:00PM to 5:00PM, teaching from 3:35-4:25. Then for subsequent Wednesdays we’ll see how it goes in terms of time on campus.

That’s all for now. I’ve attached a photo of the little guy. Not surprisingly, he has dark hair and lots of it. I jokingly like to tell people he also came out with a beard but Lindsay made him shave it for the photos. Looking forward to seeing everyone soon, and good luck with the start of the semester!

Thanks again for all the support,

-chris