[Cs-affiliates] From Networked Systems to Theory and Back: Full-Duplex Wireless and Beyond

Orecchia, Lorenzo orecchia at bu.edu
Mon Mar 27 14:12:26 EDT 2017

Hi all,

Jelena Diakonikolas will give us an overview of her research tomorrow in the Hariri Seminar room at 1.30pm. Jelena’s interest spans the practice and theory of networked systems. See the abstract below.
Feel free to forward to anyone who may be interested.

Best,
Lorenzo

P.S.: Besides giving us a chance to get to know Jelena’s research, this is also an opportunity for Jelena to rehearse her job talk. Feedback is highly appreciated! Also, if you are interested in figuring out what goes into preparing a job talk, this could be useful.

Talk Title: From Networked Systems to Theory and Back: Full-Duplex Wireless and Beyond
Time: 1.30pm-2.30pm, Tuesday May 28
Location: Hariri Seminar Room

Abstract:
As our ambitions to build larger and more complex networked systems are ever increasing, the following three general trends can be observed: (i) wireless data traffic is growing, (ii) the number of devices connecting to the networked systems is surging, and (iii) networks are increasingly used not only for communication, but also for computation. I will present results that are motivated by these trends and that span different aspects of networked systems: from modeling of the system components, over rigorous algorithm design and analysis, to testbed development and performance evaluation.

The unprecedented growth of the wireless traffic over scarce spectrum resources prompts the development of more spectrum-efficient techniques. On the roadmap to 5G wireless standards, full-duplex has been recognized as one of the key technologies for improving the spectrum efficiency. I will present the results on principled design of full-duplex systems that were obtained as part of a cross-disciplinary project "Full-duplex wireless: From integrated circuits to networks" (FlexICoN), which I co-initiated at Columbia. In particular, I will describe a mathematical model of an integrated full-duplex receiver developed within FlexICoN and present resource allocation algorithms tailored to the realistic receiver models. Then, I will highlight the experimental results obtained in a custom-designed full-duplex wireless testbed, developed for the evaluation of our full-duplex hardware and resource allocation and scheduling algorithms.

Further, I will highlight how the growing scale of networked systems raises the need for fast fair resource allocation algorithms and describe our novel algorithmic results for addressing these issues. Finally, I will describe some of the challenges in networks involving communication and computation, my ongoing work in this area, and future directions.

Biography: Jelena (Marasevic) Diakonikolas is a Postdoctoral Associate at Boston University and a Visiting Scholar at Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Her research focuses on principled design of networked systems. Her research on full-duplex wireless systems was awarded a Qualcomm 2015 Innovation Fellowship, was featured in IEEE Spectrum, and resulted in several invited papers. She was selected as an MIT EECS Rising Star in 2015, and named one of the "10 Women in Networking/Communications That You Should Watch" in 2016. She designed the first cellular networking hands-on lab, winning GENI GREE 2013 Best Educational Paper Award. Jelena completed her Ph.D. and M.S. degrees at Columbia University, with an M.S. Award of Excellence and a Jacob Millman Prize for Excellence in Teaching Assistance. She obtained her Bachelor's degree from University of Belgrade, where she held the two most prestigious government-awarded fellowships.