[Cs-affiliates] FW: Red Hat Colloquium Talk: John Wilkes (Monday, 03/27, 1:30PM, Hariri Seminar Room)

Devits, Christopher R cdevits at bu.edu
Fri Mar 24 16:14:45 EDT 2017

Hi Everyone,

John Wilkes from Google will be here on Monday to give a Red Hat Colloquium talk at 1:30PM to (see abstract below).  John is a really well-known researcher who has been active in a variety of topics including Storage, Scheduling, and Cloud Computing.

John will be around for a few hours after his talk to meet with folks one-on-one or in groups.  Please use the form linked to below to sign up. PhD students are especially encouraged to sign up.

When: Monday, 03/27, 1:30 - 2:30PM
Where: Hariri Institute Seminar Room (location might change if we can find a bigger room)
Link to sign up for 1-1 meetings: http://bit.ly/2mx34Yx

Building warehouse-scale computers
Imagine some product team inside Google wants 100,000 CPU cores + RAM + flash + accelerators + disk in a couple of months. We need to decide where to put them, when; whether to deploy new machines, or re-purpose/reconfigure old ones; ensure we have enough power, cooling, networking, physical racks, data centers and (over longer a time-frame) wind power; cope with variances in delivery times from supply logistics hiccups; do multi-year cost-optimal placement+decisions in the face of literally thousands of different machine configurations; keep track of parts; schedule repairs, upgrades, and installations; and generally make all this happen behind the scenes at minimum cost.

And then after breakfast, we get dynamically allocate resources (on the small-minutes timescale) to the product groups that need them most urgently, accurately reflecting the cost (opex/capex) of all the machines and infrastructure we just deployed, and monitoring and controlling the datacenter power and cooling systems to achieve minimum overheads - even as we replace all of these on the fly.

This talk will highlight some of the exciting problems we're working on inside Google to ensure we can supply the needs of an organization that is experiencing (literally) exponential growth in computing capacity.