[Cs-affiliates] Notice: downtime for CS systems 7-8am Tuesday

Paul Stauffer paulds at bu.edu
Fri Jul 7 15:51:23 EDT 2017

Hi all,

In order to perform some necessary upgrades on the network switches in the
Computer Science data center, there will be a one hour service outage of
most CS systems and services from 7:00am to 8:00am on Tuesday, July 11.

During this window, please expect that most of our systems and services will
not be operational.  Most systems in our data center will lose network
connectivity, so established login sessions may time out or terminate.  NFS
access will be disrupted, so filesystem IO may block for extended periods,
causing running processes to pause.  Authentication and logins to our Linux
systems will not be possible during this downtime.  For the most part,
logins and use of Windows and Mac systems will not be impacted, however
access to most CS resources (printers, fileservers, websites) will not be
available.

We are hoping to restore full service by 8:00am (and possibly sooner).  We
will send out a follow-up message when service restoration is complete; but
note that we will be unable to send notifications prior to that if there is
a delay in completing this work.

Please contact support at cs.bu.edu if you have any questions.  We apologise in
advance for any inconvenience.  This work should help make such widespread
downtimes much rarer in the future.

regards,
- Paul

--