[Cs-affiliates] Support for CS International Students

Crovella, Mark E crovella at bu.edu
Mon Jan 30 21:21:12 EST 2017

Dear Computer Science Students, Faculty, and Staff:

I’m writing regarding the ongoing implementation of the Executive Order on Immigration.   First and foremost, if any student is anxious or has questions, I want you to know that the CS Faculty and Staff will try to help the best of our knowledge and abilities.   We are all members of the community of science, which does not have borders.  As Chair, I’m committed to doing all we can do address this fundamental assault on our shared values.

It seems that there is significant uncertainty about many aspects of the situation.   I’m sorry that this prevents, or cancels, plans that you may have made.   We are aware that these difficulties exist and will try to help and adapt as best we can.

Tomorrow (Tuesday) evening at 5pm there will be an event in the Hariri Institute to which all CS students are invited: http://www.bu.edu/hic/2017/01/29/we-stand-together/.   Please come and let’s talk.

Further,  a campus town hall meeting will be held tomorrow (Tuesday) at 5:30 in the GSU Metcalf Ballroom.  The event is hosted by BU Global Programs and the Dean of Students office and will be moderated by Willis Wang, vice  president and associate provost for global programs. An immigration lawyer and ISSO staff will be on hand to discuss Trumpʼs order and field questions.  This will be live streamed at https://livestream.com/accounts/3723851/events/6950941 (and will be viewable during the Hariri event).

Once again, please don’t hesitate to come forward if you have any questions or concerns.   We will do our best to help.

Mark
—
Mark Crovella, Professor and Chair
Department of Computer Science